Thursday, January 27, 2011

In With The Old...Out With The New

Old (New) House



New (Old) House


One of the exciting things that happened while I was on blogabatical, was the purchase of a new (yet very old) home! As long as I can remember, I always dreamed of having a historical home, one with character (drafty), one with a history (rigged electric and duct work), and with charm (62 layers of paint on every paintable surface). I went from having a newly built home, which I loved and thoroughly enjoyed- to a Nationally registered historical home built in 1937 that I adore! That's a biiiiiig difference people. Original hardwood floors, which the previous owners had covered with carpet (crazy!)- I didn't even have to refinish them. All the doors and crystal door knobs are original, tilework in the bathrooms, windows and sashes- it really is just the perfect house for me.

Now I must admit, I'm beginning to understand the dilema of wanting to fix and update everything all at once- it's hard to pace yourself. For example, the kitchen laminate countertops need to be replaced. Well, if I'm going to do the countertops, might as well re-do the cabinets....and if I'm going to do that...I might as well look at rearranging the configuration... and while we're at it...why not go ahead and get rid of the breakfast bar, move the refrigerator, do granite countertops, smokey glass inserts in the cabinets...etc., etc., etc., Just read the book 'If You Give a Mouse a Cookie' and you'll understand. But it's all very exciting wondering how each project will end up! I'm in the process of finishing up the basic upgrades: insulation (had none), new storm windows (old ones were rotten 1937 windows), and caulking/weatherproofing all the old windows that have gaps big enough for a squirrel to climb through. Pace yourself Sharla.....pace yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment